Saturday, August 7, 2010

Another "Mash-Up" of Ideas


The above images were brought together in a painting to further explore the ambiguity within a particular event. I seek to create an overall situation. I take these images from the web, that have nothing to do with eachother, as means to find a connection. I think Jerry Garcia's music from the 70s can- somehow, find a way to be meaningful to the 2009 incident in which a gang beat a youth to death in Chicago. Yet, at the beginning of the painting, I am not sure how.

Elements of what is Urban begins to get lost within this paintings. Many of my viewers said they felt something more tropical, as if this were taking place in Africa or near a swamp. I enjoy the way in which my viewers become active participants in determing the narrative.



I do not intend to re-do this piece. But it will serve as a basis for future work. I enjoy the idea of painting a mob or gang. I think this proves that I need to plan out the composition more. I do not like the way in which all of the figures are cropped. I could have created more a flow within this crowd, if you could only see their stances more clearly.



The addition of the car was a mistake. It should have been done differently, but it really bogs down the painting, a lot my viewers could not get past it.


I will continue to explore ways in which to incorporate music or musicians. I think the idea of a soundtrack could be useful within this approach of a mash-up, or clash of images. It could help connect everything.




No comments:

Post a Comment